Create a customized experience with professional consulting and individualized education.
Not everyone wants or can afford full doula labor support. There are still many ways a doula can improve your birth experience.
Early Pregnancy Consult
It is the choices you make at the onset of your pregnancy that have the biggest impact on your birth experience. Where you choose to have your baby and which provider you choose to care for you and your baby can impact not only the quality of your experience, but your risk of Cesarean or other interventions. I am familiar with the options for birth in our area, and can help you find the right fit for you and your birth plan. Looking for something special like a water birth , VBAC or Nitrous for pain relief? Want to understand the different childbirth methods and classes to choose from? I know the local options and have attended births in all of the local facilities. I have also worked with most of the local OBs and midwives. Who else can give that kind of perspective to your planning? This 90 minute session can be adapted to meet your needs and wishes – $75
Full Birth Planning Support
Not only can I help you find a provider and birth location that works for you, I can also help you understand your options for birth experiences as well. Whether you are planing a natural unmedicated delivery, Cesarean, or want to better understand your options for pain relief, I can help you understand what procedures to expect, what rights and options you have, and offer some creative ways to have a special and memorable birth experience. This package includes two 90 minute planning and education sessions that will be focused on what YOU want to learn about, and you will have the opportunity to create a written birth plan that you can share with your providers. Also includes phone or email consults as questions arise during your pregnancy. A totally customized prenatal education experience. – $250
Past your expected due date and your provider has suggested Induction? Do you have a risk factor that makes induction recommended by a certain date? I can help you understand the evidence behind induction recommendations that will help you decide if you want to be induced or not. In a single 90 minute session to answer all of your questions and concerns about induction, I can help you understand and manage risk as you make your decisions, or reshape your plans and expectations of your birth with induction added to the plan. Can often be scheduled last minute if needed. – $75 (available free to all labor support clients)
Topics covered will include:
- Statistics and evidence supporting or not supporting your reason for induction, including risks and benefits to mother and baby.
- Understanding your Bishops score and how it may impact your induction.
- Induction methods: How they work, what to expect, the evidence behind each and your options.
- How Induction may impact your birth choices and outcomes.
Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC ) Consult
VBAC is not only a viable option, but the safest choice for most women who have had a previous Cesarean. Opportunities for VBAC may be limited in our area, but don’t let that stop you! I am happy to meet with you to discuss your options. What birth locations are offering VBAC? How successful can you expect it to be? What can you do to improve your potential for success? What requirements can you expect your provider to ask for? If you decide a VBAC is not for you, how can you improve your Cesarean experience? I can help you come up with the best options and a plan for your own situation. -$75
Optimal Fetal Positioning for an easier labor.
You can determine your baby’s position in your belly and encourage your baby to be in the best position for an easier labor and birth.
Amy has been taught by Gail Tully of SPINNING BABIES and can teach you how to determine your baby’s current position, and how you can encourage your baby to be in the best position for an easier labor and birth. If you like; after you determine what position your baby is in, Amy can draw a map of your baby on your belly to help you visualize that position.
‘Optimal Fetal Positioning’ (OFP) is a theory developed by midwife Jean Sutton, and Pauline Scott, an antenatal teacher, who found that the mother’s position and movement could influence the way her baby lay in the womb in the final weeks of pregnancy.
In this interactive session you will:
- Understand the effects of baby’s position on labor progress, comfort, and outcome.
- Discover what factors impact the position of your baby in your uterus.
- Gain skills that you can use during pregnancy and labor to encourage your baby to stay in, or move into, an optimal position; decreasing your risk of interventions and Cesarean.
- Be prepared to use positioning and movement to cope with labor.
- Have the opportunity to have Amy draw your baby’s position on your belly. (for moms who are >35 weeks pregnant)
What if you decide you want labor support after all?
No worries! Some consult package fees can be credited toward your labor support package prenatal visits!
Amy is also available for consultation on a variety of other topics.
You can create your own childbirth ed experience by picking and choosing the topics important to you.
- Understanding your options for medical and non medical pain relief.
- Hands on labor coping skills -including birth ball, rebozo. positioning, relaxation support and labor sweet spots for counter pressure and massage.
- Breastfeeding preparation
- Understanding the importance of your baby’s first hour of life
- Baby calming skills
- Baby care for beginners
Looking for something else? Just ask! If Amy can’t help you, she can probably point you in the right direction.